My photo
Waco, TX, United States

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Letter to Councilman Riggs concerning the "Nanny state" in Waco

The text of my letter is below. I'll follow-up in comments with his response, if any.


Mr. Riggs,

The council will probably vote to approve the Poverty Solutions Commission tonight. While reducing poverty in our city is a worthy and noble goal, I reject the idea that any social change must be administered by city staff. I realize it is too far down the road to change direction now, but here are my thoughts on the subject.

The Poverty Solutions Group could have made an impact on poverty in the area without the city's involvement. When they saw the need for a full-time administrator, they asked for city resources instead of forming a corporation with a board and doing their own fundraising to staff the position.

Instead of people voluntarily contributing money to the cause, their taxes will be used. When the city agreed to take on the administration for the group, in effect a new city staff position was created. When the next budget cycle comes around the position will be budgeted and staffed. You will not have the choice between that position and a new police officer or firefighter because no one on council will ask to not staff the position.

There is a growing attitude in our country, state, and city that the government should take care of people. It's called the "Nanny state". It causes people to be weaker and less able/motivated to care for themselves. The attitude is rampant in Waco. I have met people who moved here because of the programs we have.

There are two ways to affect the poverty rate. One is to have fewer people in poverty. Another is to attract the affluent to the city. Attracting more affluent will have the affect of reducing the number of people in poverty. Affluent people hire people to do their yards and clean their houses. They buy more products and more expensive products in our stores. They have larger homes and pay more taxes. It is my belief that the city should work on attracting high-income families.

I don't have a specific action to suggest at this time, but I hope that you will consider my points and possibly work to shift the philosophy that the city must help people to one where people should help themselves and others.

Thank you for your time and consideration,

Lisa Dickison

2 comments:

  1. Mr. Riggs' response is below:


    Lisa,

    Thank you for your email. I will consider your input as the poverty issue is discussed. I hope we can agree that our community would be better off without poverty. I will continue to do my best to make Waco the best it can be for all citizens by improving the quality of our environment, developing our economy to hopefully reduce our tax rate, and keeping our streets and neighborhoods safe for our children and families. Your comments are appreciated.

    Randy

    ReplyDelete
  2. There will always be poverty because it is within every single one of us to be a completely useless slug who never works a day in their life. Some of us rise above it and learn to love to work. I don't need the government to assist me in any way except to keep the borders safe and criminals in jail.

    Thanks for writing that letter for all of us, Lisa.

    ReplyDelete